August 25, 2010

The Wonders of Buttercream - Chocolate

I personally hate frosting.  As a kid, I remember scraping the stuff off of cake as my friends would ask for the dreaded "corner piece" or the "frosting flower".  Yuck!  I think part of my aversion was the texture was greasy and Vasaline like.

But in my baking extravaganza this weekend, I for the first time had a frosting I could spread on toast and even use a spoon and eat it straight up.  Thank you Ina Garten for the base recipe!  I made some slight tweaks.

Chocolate Buttercream Frosting

1 pound Bittersweet Chocolate
12 ounces Milk Chocolate
*Melt in microwave safe bowl - cool to room temp*

5 egg whites
1 1/2 Cups White Sugar
1/4 tsp Cream of Tartar
*In the mixing bowl for your electric mixer, whisk over simmering water and heat the egg whites until they are warm.  5 minutes.
*Return bowl to the mixer with the whisk attachment.  Beat on high speed for 5 minutes until you get stiff peaks.

1 1/2 POUNDs Butter -  Yes...that's right 6 Sticks of Butter!  at room temp

Add the butter 1 Tblsp at a time to the meringue.  DO NOT take short cuts and just plop all the butter in.  You will get a big blob of butter and egg whites.  NOT pretty.

After all the butter is incorporated, add:
1 Tblsp Vanilla Extract
3 tsp Espresso Powder dissolved in 1 tsp water
and Cooled melted chocolate

Whisk with mixer until all is incorporated and fluffy.  Scrape down bowl occasionally.

TA DA!  Chocolate Buttercream!  This will make enough frosting to cover a baby elephant.

No comments:

Post a Comment