August 22, 2010

2010 MN State Fair Entries


After over 12 hours of baking.  I completed 10 entries for the 2010 MN State Fair.  This will be my 13th year competing and I am hoping for at least 1 item to place.

2010 Entries and My personal Thoughts:
  • Chocolate Cake
    • I frosted this with a chocolate buttercream frosting.   I've never made buttercream before and I actually don't like frosting.  But it was actually pretty good!   I put a chocolate truffle ganache between layers!
  • Zucchini Mango Bread
    • Not a fan of how any of my breads and muffins turned out.  They all were very heavy.  I think it was also a function of not practicing enough on them.
  • Mango Bread
    • I made the mistake of adding a mango extract to this bread which turned the bread a "school bus yellow".  Flavor was ok, but the score on appearance will be taking a beating.
  • Zucchini Mango Muffins
    • They looked good, taste...eh.
  • Lemon Muffins
    • They tasted good, looks...eh
  • Lemon Poppyseed Cookies
    • Loved how these turned out!  Chewy soft, yet crunchy on the outside.
  • Chocolate Fudge Cookies
    • Staple Fair entry.  I used leftover buttercream from the cake and made "oreos" with the rejects.
  • Chocolate Chip Cookies
    • I would love to place in this category...just once!
  • Poppyseed Muffins
    • I thought they were ok when they were warm, but dried out a bit after they cooled.  Brian thought the flavor was not super good because I mixed almond extract in with cinnamon.
  • Banana Bread
    • Looked good, but not as moist as I wanted.
At the end of the day, I felt good about the cookies and the cake.  Next year the bread will have to get a little more love.  Thanks to everyone for accepting my rejects and for being my guinea pigs.  Recipes will be posted as soon as I get the smell of butter and chocolate out of my hair.

No comments:

Post a Comment