August 23, 2010

Once Upon A Time...

I was reviewing my baking weekend with my co-workers and I was asked today, what was it that got you started baking?  It goes back over 35 years.  Yes, I am that old.

The (Super) Early Years
Mom's was yellow
After thinking about it, I remember as far back when I was 4 years old in my mom's kitchen baking bundt cakes with a cake mix and sprinkling powdered sugar on top.  She had this yellow Sunbeam electric stand mixer that had 2 beaters that would be stationary and the glass bowl would spin around.  It's a far cry from my Kitchen Aid that sits in my appliance garage today.

The Early Years
My next baking memory is when I was in 7th grade and my friends and I would bake box cake mixes for our friend's birthdays.  99% of the time, the cakes were for boys.  I think that was the point when I learned that the way to a boy's heart was through food.

The First Job
My first job EVER was a hostess at the Old Country Buffet when I was 15 years old.  I helped old people carry their trays to their tables and I poured coffee and filled the dessert bar.  I struck up conversations with the baker and found out they were looking for a weekend baker.  Hours were 5-12 Saturday/Sunday.  I couldn't drive so my dad drove me every weekend for almost 2 years.  I started the morning peeling carrots (15 pounds) for carrot cake, followed by making cinnamon rolls, and all the other baked goods.  That is when I learned the importance of knowing the difference between Baking Soda and Baking Powder because management wasn't too pleased with throwing away an entire sheet pan of chocolate cake.

College
Returning back to impressing boys, I learned that baking cookies in the study lounge at school struck up conversations with various people who otherwise would never talk to me.  Mom would send me pre-measured ingredients for chocolate chip cookies.  I would buy butter and 2 eggs from the school snack counter and bake cookies for people.

The Real World
1995 I started work at Northwest Airlines.  Didn't get paid much but I flew for free.  I needed a new oven so I started baking for money.  I sold my cookies for $5 a dozen.  By the end of 1996, I made enough money to buy a new oven with my cookie money.

The Birth of the Competitive Baker
Blue Ribbon for Chocolate Fudge Cookies 2004
1997 was the first year I competed at the Fair.  My first entries were a Mango Kiwi Pie and Zucchini Pineapple Bread.  Both took 5th place.  My first Blue Ribbon came in 2003 for my Lemon Bread.  Receiving the check for $6 for first place made me laugh.  I never cashed it or any other checks received for winning.  There is something very exhilarating about competing by creating something out of butter, sugar, eggs and other ingredients.  I have no qualms about sharing my recipes.  At the end of the day, if you can execute the recipe with the proper technique and love, there are no secrets.

No comments:

Post a Comment